Source: Alena Ozerova/Shutterstock.com
Can we make an assumption? We’re guessing that your hips don’t lie! Were we right? If so, you’re in the right place. These fashion hacks and this style guide were made for you! At Chic Soul, we understand that women come in all shapes and sizes, and we have styles that fit each and every body type flawlessly. And, whether or not you embrace your wide hips or you would like to contour and flatter them, we will show you full-figured fashion that will make your curves pop, as well as those that conceal them.
Typically, women with wider hips are classified as having a pear-shaped body. If you’re not sure if your figure falls into this category, you can compare these characteristics with your own body type. The pear shape has hips that are wider than both the bust and shoulder, with thicker thighs and slimmer legs. If you identify with the pear shape, here are some of our favorite methods for both contouring your hips and emphasizing them. acc
Contouring Your Hips
If you would like to streamline and flatter your figure, these fashion hacks will help you contour your hips just right so that they aren’t the center of attention.
- Focus on Your Shoulders – If you want to take the attention off of your hips, style off-the-shoulder sweaters or dresses that put the emphasis on your shoulders. Drawing attention to your shoulders will balance out your proportions.
- Bold Patterns on Top – Choosing printed tops can also minimize the appearance of your hips by drawing attention to the upper half of your body. This year, there are so many prints we love like leopard, florals, stripes, and more!
- Embrace the Shift Dress – The shift dress is one of our favorite dresses for the pear-shaped body because it has a looser fit. Instead of clinging to each and every one of your curves, the dress drapes over your body beautifully. You won’t even notice your hips!
- Wide Leg Jeans – The key to minimizing your hips is all about balancing out your figure. And you can easily achieve this illusion with plus-size jeans for women, too! To take the emphasis off of your hips, try a pair of wide leg jeans.
- Cardigans – If you would like to draw attention away from your hips, you can easily add a long cardigan, kimono, or vest to any of your looks. This will give your hips less of a curvy look.
Emphasizing Your Hips
If you are obsessed with your hips and love to play them up with every outfit, this section of our style guide is for you! Learn how to make your waist look smaller as you style every outfit for a more dramatic look.
- Cinch Your Waist – Anytime you can style a dress or pair of jeans that pinch your waist, your hips will naturally pop, giving you the ultimate hourglass figure. The best dresses to achieve this style hack are the wrap dress, a tie-waist dress, a body con, and an A-line dress. You can even cinch the waist of a more loose-fitting dress with plus-size belts.
- High-Waist Skinny Jeans – Skinny jeans hug every curve just right. If you opt for a high-waisted fit, you’ll cinch your waist and emphasize your hips. These jeans work well with a cropped sweater or top.
- Bold-Printed Skirts – Contrary to our advice above about wearing bold prints on top to minimize the appearance of your hips, you’ll want to wear bold-printed bottoms to bring all the attention to your hips.
- Color Blocking – Color blocking is a styling technique that uses the strategic placement of colors to emphasize and minimize portions of the body. It’s also used to create visually stunning outfits. Similar to using bold patterns to draw attention to the hips, you could easily use lighter- or bold-colored bottoms to create emphasis. You can pair a black top with your bold bottoms to further emphasize them.
Whether you are looking for ways to highlight or minimize your hips, we hope you find these style tips and hacks useful for your day-to-day looks. At Chic Soul, we believe that you should wear clothing that makes you feel confident and beautiful! P.S., we think your hips are fabulous!